ACA 1095 BEST PRACTICES:
Definition – An interactive environment which allows 1095 recipients to get answers to their 1095-related questions via a ACA contact center or website.
Rationale – Since 1095 forms 1) are relatively new, 2) the web has conflicting content and 3) accountants don’t understand the intricacies of the forms, HR (or the employer website) is the natural place for employees to get answers to questions.
Examples of Questions:
- What do I do with this form?
- Why didn’t I get a form?
- Why did I get more than one form?
- How do I get a new form?
- Who can make form corrections?
- How do I know if I owe a penalty?
- What do these codes mean?
- Review employee mix
- Determine content themes, modality and timing
- Find best resource to make it happen
- Develop the content
Since we are no longer a “best efforts” year, employers should embrace best practices or simply accept the dire likelihood of material penalties. In order to mitigate future risks employers should thoroughly review and improve their supporting processes and technologies. Employers have the opportunity to fortify their environments and avoid penalties. As they say, “there’s no time like the present – do it now!”